IEP Mediation or Attendance Mediation is the first step in the process which is less confrontational than a hearing. The goal is to help parents and the school district to reach an agreement. The mediators do not have any authority in the case and do not work for the school district. If they don’t reach an agreement because of confidentiality nothing can be shared in the hearing. The sessions are completely free to both parties.
Benefits of a facilitated IEP meeting include:
- Assistance in the development of a mutually agreed -upon IEP and other team decisions.
- The chance for team members to develop and keep good working relationships.
- Building the foundation for on-going communication and collaboration between the family and the school through out the year.
- The service is offered at no cost as a service of the local community mediation center.
- Having someone who is not an advocate for the parent or school system assist in the communication.